- Added support to resize the color-bar.
- Fixed regression bug introduced in 0.9.2: menu navigation using keyboard stopped working.
- Fixed issue 143: Crash in "File > Open/Save" when aseprite.ini contains an invalid path.
- Fixed issue 160: Crash Undo-ing Layer Delete.
- Now Shift key locks the X/Y axis when you drag & drop the selection.
- Add support to load GIMP palettes (issue 112).
- Fix bug with Export Sprite Sheet when the cel is bigger than the sprite's size.
- Fix regression bug: Enter/Tab/Escape keys don't work in list-boxes.
- Fix bug showing "modified" status in the document tab.
- Fix issue 130: crash redoing a "convert to grayscale mode" command.
- Fix issue 44: problems browsing files when the option "hide extensions for known file types" is activated in Windows Explorer.
- Fix issue 129: Return to frame/layer where action is undone (configurable option).
- Added scroll-by tile size feature (issue 90): you can press Ctrl+Arrow keys to scroll by tile size.
- Fix problem losing hue value in palette editor (issue 100).
- Fix problems loading .ase files (issue 102).
- Fix problems with Trim (issue 106).
- Now you can transform (move/scale/rotate) the selection directly (video).
- Integrated copy & paste logic with selection.
- Text field in the status bar to go to frame (issue 6).
- Button in status bar to create new frames.
- Fixed regression bug: now you can clone the selection using Ctrl+drag & drop as in 0.8.2.
- Fixed issue 52: Text entries do not work in Import Sprite Sheet.
- WARNING: The "N" keyboard shortcut was changed to "Alt+N" to avoid creation of frames by mistake.
- Closed issue 48 and issue 50.
- Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab to navigate between tabs.
- Avoid 100% CPU usage (issue 47).
- Added Import/Export Sprite Sheet (issue 4).
- Added support to resize the window in X11, Mac OS X, and Windows platforms.
- Improved "Canvas Size" command (video).
- New color selectors with improved RGB and HSB sliders (video).
Changes in keyboard shortcuts (some of these changes were made to avoid tool-switching confusion):
- Elliptical Marquee: Shift+M (it was "M")
- Polygonal Lasso: Shift+Q (it was "Q")
- Ellipse: Shift+U (it was "U")
- Polygon: Shift+D (it was "D")
- Curve: Shift+L (it was "Y")
- Spray: Shift+B (it was "S")
- Added automatic check for updates (issue 13).
- Issue 14 - Don't ask for saving changes when read-only commands are used.
- #3050538 - File dialog does not show files (sometimes).
- Fixed a critical bug: split an editor, close it, and change tool (crash).
- Fixed Paste command when we use it in an empty frame.
- Fixed bug #3051174 (reported by Trent Gamblin): Loading two or more times gui.xml file.
ASE v0.8.1 beta
- Improved "Tools Configuration" dialog to show only necessary options for the current tool.
- Added "Tolerance" parameter to Magic Wand and Paint Bucket (Trent Gamblin idea).
- Fixed critical problem rendering indexed images with a non-black color in palette entry 0.
ASE v0.8.0 beta
USER INTERFACE CHANGES
- Now you zoom using the mouse wheel without pressing Alt key.
- Now tools are grouped.
- Color-bar is completely redesigned (see Quick Reference).
- Improved selection tools: Now you can move selected pixels dragging the selected area (like MS Paint). [work-in-progress]
- New ASE skin created by Ilija Melentijevic.
"Tools" menu is gone:
- "Tools > Configure" was moved to "Edit > Tools".
- "Tools > Options" was moved to "Edit > Options".
- "Tools > FX" was moved to "Edit > FX".
- All other options are in "View" (Animation Editor, Palette Editor).
- New tools: Lasso, Polygonal Lasso, Magic Wand, Eyedropper (as an independet tool, Alt+click is available too), Hand, Move, (Filled) Countour, and (Filled) Polygon.
- Now the editor cursor displays pen preview (Ilija Melentijevic idea, like Animator Pro).
- Added compression to .ase/.aseprite format.
- Added support to zoom when you are drawing (e.g. you can use the mouse wheel when you are drawing a polygon or a long line).
- Fixed bug #2847210: "Save" button when close a modified file was not working.
- Added support to paste/copy text from/to Windows clipboard.
- Added support to process Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V / Ctrl+P keys in all entry fields.
- Fixed a bug where file names for new sprites are lower-case always (in Windows).
- Fixed a program crash when try to open a file in the middle of a thumbnail generation process.
- Added "Sprite Size" command (feature #2671468).
- Added "Save Copy As" command (feature #2636076).
- Copy & Paste use Windows clipboard (feature #2577954).
- Added "Canvas Size" and "Rotate Canvas" commands.
- Fixed compilation support for gcc 64 bits.
- Fixed a bug with multiple editors and paste command.
- Fixed a bug in the File Open dialog when user presses ENTER key with an empty file name.
- Fixed critical bugs in rendering code.
- Added support to drag and drop files from Windows explorer (feature #2419098).
- Fixed bug #2511762 (.PNG' extension unavailable in Open and Save As dialogs, thanks to Clayton Enga for the patch).
- Added 'Curve' tool (bezier-spline).
- Added support to drag and drop colors in color-bar (feature #2109224).
- Added support to lock lines in special angles with the Shift key, useful to draw in isometric views (feature #1961397).
- Fixed bugs #1958760 and #1958932.
- Fixed other serious bugs (Dead-pointers to palettes, Flatten Layers, File Selector, etc.).
- Added the
- Added support to load and save PNG files (through 'libpng').
- Transparent cel handling for the end-user (you can move a cel and don't worry about its bounds).
- Rewritten the "Color Bar" and "Color Selector" dialog.
- Rewritten the "Animation Editor" (ex-Film Editor).
- New tools: Eraser, Blur, Jumble.
- Replaced the "List" menu with the tabs selector.
Rewritten the "File Selector":
- Preview support.
- Incremental search.
- History of navigation (Back/Forward).
- In Windows: you can visit Desktop, My Documents and My Computer locations.
- Optimized some operations like load/save files and "apply effect" (convolution matrices, color curves, median, etc.)
- Restructured all the menus (more user friendly options).
- more borders for windows and more spacing between controls.
- better mouse behavior (now in Windows the mouse is captured).
- added tooltips.
- Added screen pixel-scaling support (with double-buffering). This means that you can use the program in a 320x240 resolution inside a window of 640x480 (pixel-scaling x2).
- Fixed other minor problems when you drawn in 'tiled mode' or 'paste' the clipboard.
- New XML format for the menus and keyboard shortcuts.
Removed a lot of "complex" functionality:
- Removed mask-repositories (you can use .msk files instead).
- Removed menu scripting customization: the scripting support is broken, next versions of ASE will contain a better set of routines to create scripts.
- Removed screen saver.
- Removed sessions.
- Removed draw-text (it'll return in next versions like text-layers).
- Removed layer-sets (the Animation-Editor can't handle them right at the moment).
- Removed map-generation utility.
- Removed linked-cels (were complex for the end-user).
Added features-requested by Carl Olsson:
- better "snap to grid" support for box-like tools (rectangle, ellipse, etc.).
- floating selection now "snap to grid" also.
- added a subpixel movement for zoomed-cursors in the editor, to known where we are inside the pixel.
- Better support for the mouse wheel and middle button in the sprite-editor (to scroll and zoom).
- GIF support to save file fully supported by default.
- Fixed compilation with Allegro 4.2.3 SVN (and fixed a bug in Allegro with key_shifts).
- Now the full-screen or windowed state is remembered (thanks to Manuel De Miguel Moreno to report it).
- Removed the console mode.
- Changed Film Editor shortcut: TAB key.
- New feature: Each animation frame has duration.
- New Palette Editor (F4 key).
- Now sprites support multiple palettes: Each frame can has its own color palette.
- Added support to load GIF files (by Elias Pschernig).
- Added a combobox to file-selection to handle the bookmarks.
- Added rotation!!! Now you can scale and rotate what you paste from the clipboard.
- Fixed the creation of session files when an exception (fatal error) happens in Windows.
- Added es.po and tips.es files.
- Added session manager (if the program crashes the session is saved automatically).
- Added a tool to draw text (finally).
- More documentation and tips.
- Improved the frame adding process.
- Fixed important bugs.
- Added a mapgen utility (original code by Johan Halmén and Anders Andersson).
- Spanish language support (now works in Windows too).
- Internal code improved (mainly GUI parts, and functions names).
- More stable undo: with limit and without the strange redo-after-overwrite-undo feature.
- New median filter to despeckle images.
- Updated alternative support to load/save JPEG files with JPGalleg 2.3 library, thanks to Angelo Mottola for this.
Fixed problems with non-US keyboards: the Alt key can't be used for shortcuts. Some combinations changes:
- <~> to <`> (open film editor)
- to <?> (mask by color)
- to (close current editor)
- Added Cut, Copy, Paste!
- Added AutoCrop (before known as Trim).
- Fixed routine to save JPG files.
- Fixed and improved various parts of GUI.
- Added some documentation to write Lua scripts.
- Film Editor was improved.
- Fixed errors with the graphics cursor, some keyboard problems, and various minor bugs.
- New tips with text and images. This will be very useful for beginners.
- Onionskin feature is done.
- Added (optional) ordered dithering to render RGB images in 8 bpp.
- New actions: Merge Down, New Frame, Copy Frame, change Image Type!, Load Script File.
- Optimized the drawing speed with tiled mode.
- Fixed in Windows version: spray and some errors saving file-names in the configuration file.
- Added libintl support and the Spanish translation (only for Linux, but I have planned make this usable in Windows).
- More undo support: insert/remove layers and mask modifications.
- Filters Convolution Matrix and Color Curve are back.
- Added more basic operations (with undo support): flatten layers, duplicate layer, duplicate sprite, horizontal/vertical flip, crop frame.
- New .ASE format (in alpha status, please test it!).
- Easy script routines: now are a high-level layer of routines (easy to use and understand), and the low-level routine's set (for internal or more specific works).
- Removed all the interpolation stuff between key-frames: yes, after thinking, this make too hard the animation edition (so the "fancy spline interpolation" was removed).
- Optimized the editor's speed in scroll movements.
- The Film Editor is almost done for layers and frames handle.
- Fixed filters using mask with displaced layers.
- Support to apply filters to various frames/layers at the same time.
- Added differents screen layouts in main.jid (see FAQ.txt to see how change between them).
- The tool bar is back!
- Fixed a lot of bugs.
- Added optional support for JPEG with JPGalleg 2.0 library.
- Added draw mode: Opaque (normal), Glass (transparent), Semi (pattern).
- Added brush types: Circle, Square, Line.
- Implemented a fake-palette system to make the GUI usable with any sprite palette (mainly to avoid "black-screen" situations when open sprites with ugly palettes).
- The palette editor has more improvements (like the possibility to move the selection range).
- "menus" file modified a bit. Some keyboard bindings have change (and new ones added), you can see the "docs/QuickHelp.html" file for more help. Anyway, I try to leave the compability in the more used commands.
- Full scripting support with Lua-5.0. Sprites and GUI controllable from same scripts, to give you an idea, various of menus actions are programmed directly with scripts.
- Complete selection handle (mask regions). You can select irregular areas (add, subtract, intersect, by color), save and load them in the .MSK Animator Pro format.
- Multiple editors. Now you will be able to edit an image with zoom and see the results in other editors (updated in real-time).
- New Gfx-core. All sprite/image/layer/prop/key stuff was reprogrammed. The more big change, was to property/keyframe level (the properties can be with lineal or spline interpolation, also, have a ending flag to make circular movements or patterns of movement).
- New GUI. The look and the internal code was reestructured completelly, I made a new GUI library: Jinete (rider).
- New RLE Gaussian Blur effect (from The GIMP source code).
- Blender modes are back!: Normal, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Hard Light, Darken, Lighten, Addition, Subtract, Difference, Hue, Saturation, Color, Luminosity.
- Better the GUI look: With colors, this should be less boring :-)
- Added a graphics selection dialog where you can specify any resolution (this could be useful for windowed modes).
- Back again to the good-and-peaceful-allegro-like makefiles. Ok, ok, the GNU style was the worst change in ASE, but now is fixed :-)
- Removed the .DLL or .so capability for plug-ins. After some weeks of thinking, I decide to strip off this feature because is too hard to do a good system to attach new plug-ins with the current menu implementation. The most user are just "user" and don't will copy the plug-in and modify the
menus to add a new entry with a little script-string to call the new plug-in action. Also, this save me a lot of headaches :-)
- Added multiple filter application: Now, you can apply effects to every layer, to every animation frame, or both.
- Added the "Recent Files" list.
- A complete set of scripts routines to handle paths.
- New selection type: "shrink", to shrink the selection to the current layer bitmap bounds.
- New "trim_sprite" action.
- Removed the
move tool to displace layers (it was redundant).
- New interface to load Plug-Ins in a dynamic way (DLL, .so).
- Complete new support for JPEG files (RGB/grayscale) load/save: athwart the Independent JPEG Group's JPEG Library.
- trim_layer_bitmap: trim the current layer to the selection bounds.
- merge_down: to merge the current layer with the next one.
- make_undo_animation: to make an animation from the undo operations (to see all the progression of the graphics).
- undo_history: to undo/redo various operations.
- color_curve: to make color conversion effects pixel by pixel.
- Improved the
Color Replace command (with
- A new optimized layer-bar, to handle all the keyframe/properties stuff.
Various things rewritten to Plug-Ins:
- file formats,
- actions for menus (also, now these actions can be used from scripts).
- Replaced the old
color depth system to the new
image types: From now, an image can be: RGB, Grayscale, or Indexed type.
- New ASE Library, with a complete new design to handle: images, layers, bitmaps, properties, keyframes, etc.
- Source code to GNU style: with configure.in, Makefile.am, etc.
- New scripts routines: request(), apply_filter(), load_sprite(), and save_sprite().
- Support to load FLI/FLC and to save FLC files. Yes! Now with ASE you can make FLC animations with a good compression performance.
- Added the posibility to load/save sequences of bitmaps: like ani00.pcx, ani01.pcx, ani02.pcx, etc.
- More undo functionality. I re-wrote the entire
- New rectangular-selection tool: Now you can cut, copy, paste and clear.
- New RLE compression for 8 bpp in .ase files.
- Support to load .ase files from 0.0.6 and 0.0.7 CVS (important stage): I recommend you upgrade all your .ase files to the 0.0.7 release version.
- New properties for keyframes: now each keyframe has its position and alpha, with this you can make animations of objects moving only the keyframes (all the intermediate frames will be calculate automatically).
- Now the program remember the configuration (through
- Added a new draw-tiled mode.
- New full-screen editing mode. With resizable layer-bar.
- Added an options to draw the previous frame in transparent mode.
- Removed the
background properties of layers: from now, a layer will be transparent (masked-blitting) ever. With this are fixed a lot of problems with load/save routines in old versions.
- I still don't recommend you the .ase format (just for temporary usage): there are planes to change it.
- Scripting capability athwart Lua language: now, you can make automatic tasks programming your own scripts (included some scripts as example).
alpha (global transparency) and
blender-mode for each layer (like in GIMP and Adobe Photoshop).
- Improved the layer/frame-control: Now add/remove/move/copy layer and frames are really-very-easy with the new layer-panel (like in Macromedia Flash).
- More easy tool-configuration.
- New drawing tool: real-pencil, with a unique and original algorithm.
- Removed all the use of the Allegro GUI.
- New original (and ugly) GUI look: now, the colors are in harmony for the eyes.
- More facilities to handle colors with different
- New animation control: need test (see
bugs.txt to report errors).
- Optimized the color-selection dialog: now you can make gammas between four colors.
- Added a
preview in the apply-filter dialog.
- New improved gui system (for the users and for the developers).
reload option for the filters.
- New view-tile option in tool-menu (for make tileable patterns).
- Modificable draw properties: thickness, alpha color, spray random factor, and spray radius.
- Undo support for all tools.
- Multiple drawing tools support: pixel, pencil, fill, spray, line, rectangle, and ellipse;
- New improved layer control.
- A lot of optimizations in the status bar.
- New duplicate sprite option.
- New session manager, for load and save your work. Other utility of this, is if the program crash for any reason, it auto-backups your data.
- Bad news: the old .ase format is incompatible with the new one: I recommend you don't save in .ase until the 0.1 release.
- New "visible" property for hide and show the layers.
- New change color-depth function.
- Added a set-gfx-mode option in the system-menu.
- New duplicate layer support.
- New .ase format (for save the layers).
- More keyboard shorcuts (with a new
- New layers operations: insert, move and remove.
- RGBA (alpha channel) bitmaps support.
- New filter capability, with some examples of filters.
- An incredible new way to create dialogs (for programmers only).
- More "Windows friendly" text files.
- New optimized status bar.
- New improved look of the GUI.
- New "infinite" Undo & Redo support.
- Some importants bug fixed.
- One tool: interactive line.
- Color selection support.
- Poor palette modification capability.